February-June 2022. 2 year commitment.
Looking for a highly motivated individual to join a research program in neuroscience and stem cell biology (neural stem cells, adult hippocampal neurogenesis, inhibitory microcircuits) aimed at improving cognition. This position is ideal for an exceptionally driven candidate interested in acquiring a rigorous training in basic science and developing a framework for translational biomedical research. This is a unique opportunity for scientific growth and interaction in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment and for training in a variety of sophisticated experimental approaches including inducible mouse genetics, viral genetics, optogenetics, in vivo optical imaging, ex vivo and in vivo electrophysiology and behavioral analysis. The success of the lab’s alumni (publications) and placement of all our techs in top tier Ph.D. programs is testimony to the strength of our environment in mentoring and training young scientists. Please go to http://www.sahaylab.com/ for more information.
Employing Department and Institution: CRM, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School.
Minimum degree and field of knowledge: B.S./B.A., Neuroscience, Cell Biology or Molecular Biology.
Recommended research experience: 1 year + experience. Prior experience with mice is essential.
The candidate is expected to independently carry out the daily activities of the laboratory with minimal supervision. Duties include:
- Development of own scientific project, new experimental techniques and assays and familiarity with statistical analysis.
- Mouse colony management and genotyping to maintain lab lines and lines for project.
- Assisting lab personnel with routine experiments.
- Documenting, compiling, and analyzing information obtained from laboratory experiments.
- Systematic generation and maintenance of database/inventory of all lab supplies, plasmids, bacterial stocks, lab records and mouse colony. Maintain compliance with safety, biohazard and radioactivity guidelines. Communicates and coordinates with all lab members to ensure adherence to lab protocols.
- Training of new lab members in various techniques.
- 1 year of experience in a research laboratory.
- Must be highly motivated and organized, prudent in time management and capable of juggling multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Must be very comfortable working with mice.
- Quick to learn new skills on the job and work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and problem solving/analytical skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and with external contacts in a fast paced environment. Must be a team player.
- Critical thinking skills and attention to detail are required.
- Oversees purchasing, inventories and maintenance of laboratory equipment, supplies, reagents and stock solutions. Communicates with vendors regarding service contracts, maintenance and repairs.
Interested candidates should submit a CV, brief summary statement outlining qualifications, expertise and career goals and have 3 letters of reference sent by email to Dr. Amar Sahay (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Twitter profile: @AmarSahay_