The Stem Cell Program at Boston Children's Hospital seeks applications from highly motivated candidates for the position of Research Assistant I in the Carla Kim Laboratory, which is focused on the study of lung stem cell biology, regenerative medicine and lung cancer research. Candidate will have the opportunity to support multiple research projects and will conduct a variety of techniques such as DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, immunohistochemistry, molecular cloning, tissue culture and other molecular biology techniques. Further responsibilities include purchasing and maintenance of laboratory stocks, animal colony management and husbandry, equipment maintenance and establishment of procedures and maintenance of records and documentation to ensure laboratory's compliance with institutional and federal guidelines in health, safety and animal regulations.
This is an excellent transition opportunity for a recent college graduate interested in pursuing further graduate or medical education after 2 years. Previous Kim lab assistants have been co-authors on several papers and are now enrolled in highly competitive medical and graduate school programs.
- Under immediate supervision, performs a variety of routine and specialized laboratory experimental, specimen preparations and experimental procedures for the purpose of research. Assists in the use of specialized laboratory equipment and analysis of data generated by this equipment
- According to prescribed protocols and assigned schedules, performs a variety of routine laboratory experiments and procedures, utilizing standard laboratory equipment, recording and checking results for completeness and accuracy.
- Assists in troubleshooting procedures if experimental results are unexpected or quality of specimens is poor.
Performs the following techniques typically required for the laboratory/study:
- Maintains records of results and methodologies in a log of work performed.
- Maintains equipment, lab area and supplies in a neat professional manner.
- Sterilize and clean glassware, prepare media and other materials using appropriate procedures.
- Inventories supplies alerts supervisor to needed supplies, or mixes standard reagents.
- Processes order for supplies and/or animals. Attends courses in safety procedures for handling, storage and disposal of biohazardous, flammable, corrosive and toxic materials.
- Carries out all laboratory activities in compliance with applicable regulations and protocols.
- Conducts literature searches and reviews, compiling information for journals and suggesting uses for new techniques to the P.I.
- Attends courses, lectures and conferences to further own knowledge of research and laboratory techniques, consulting with other researchers and technicians to exchange information
- Contributes to the team within and between departments and organizations.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in biological sciences, biochemistry, chemistry, or a closely related field.
- Specific experience with molecular biology, biochemistry, tissue culture and/or laboratory animals is a plus.
- Outstanding analytical and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Analytical skills to resolve problems that require the use of basic scientific, mathematical, or technical principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.