A research assistant position is available with a flexible start date for Winter or Spring 2021 within the Human Neuron Core at Boston Children’s Hospital. The individual will join a fast-paced team that utilizes human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC)-derived neurons to model neurological disease. The research assistant will be trained to culture iPSCs, differentiate neurons, and characterize the neurons using cutting-edge technologies. The research assistant will coordinate with the clinical team to collect and process blood/skin samples from patients with rare neurological disorders. The individual is expected to work closely with other researchers at the Human Neuron Core to maintain and optimize quality control protocols with respect to induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) and iPSC-derived neuron differentiation. The candidate is expected to actively participate in core meeting discussions and presentations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Tissue culture and quality control of fibroblasts, iPSC, and neuron differentiation.
- Running both differentiation and phenotyping assays, including but not limited to: PCR, immunocytochemistry, western blot, and imaging
- Lab maintenance, i.e. ordering supplies, general upkeep, etc.
- Primary tissue processing with human blood and skin biopsies.
- Coordinating with the clinical team to receive patient samples.
- Keeping good records of processed samples and entering information in core inventory.
- Organizing and cryopreserving processed samples in liquid nitrogen tank.
- A BA/BS degree in Biology/Molecular Biology/Biochemistry/Neurobiology or related field.
- Flexible working hours during weekdays AND weekends on rotating schedule.
- Experience with cell culture required; experience with iPSCs is a plus
- Past research experience in cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, or neuroscience at the undergraduate level or beyond, preferred.
- Excellent communication, organization, time management, and record-keeping skills a must.
This is a two-year, full-time, salaried position with affordable health, vision, and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement savings plan, pension, tuition reimbursement, cell phone plan discounts, and discounted rates on T-passes (50% off).
For questions or to submit your resume/CV and cover letter please contact Brianna Godlewski, Research Data Manager, at Brianna.Godlewski@childrens.harvard.edu. Please reference which position you are applying for in your email to Brianna.